Monday 24 February 2020

#BookReview - The Storm Crow by Kalyn Josephson


Series - The Storm Crow #1
Number of pages - 350
Format - ARC
Star Rating - ✪✪✪


In the tropical kingdom of Rhodaire, magical, elemental Crows are part of every aspect of life...until the Illucian empire invades, destroying everything.

That terrible night has thrown Princess Anthia into a deep depression. Her sister Caliza is busy running the kingdom after their mother's death, but all Thia can do is think of all she has lost.

But when Caliza is forced to agree to a marriage between Thia and the crown prince of Illucia, Thia is finally spurred into action. And after stumbling upon a hidden Crow egg in the rubble of a rookery, she and her sister devise a dangerous plan to hatch the egg in secret and get back what was taken from them.

(Cover photo & blurb copied from Goodreads)

════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════


Firstly would like to apologise mostly to myself for reading this ARC nearly a year too late!

I loved the concept of magical elemental crows. A lot of books are stuck with the cliché of using dragons so when I realised that Kalyn used crows I was very intrigued.

I also loved the representation of depression in this book, I found the descriptions of the mental as well as physical battles this MI brings very true. So found myself sympathising with the main character from the off set.

The storyline moves along at a very good pace, explaining everything that needs to be explained very well without too much information dumping. I will say I found I read the first couple of chapters or so slower than the rest of the book, though I think this was because I wasn't too invested in the book yet.

Overall if you like magic, danger & mystery I would recommend giving this book a try!

Now I just need to wait on the sequel!

No comments:

Post a Comment