Monday 3 February 2020

#BookReview - Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Series - Outlander #1
Number of pages: 880
Format: Paperback


What if your future was the past?


1946, and Claire Randall goes to the Scottish Highlands with her husband Frank. It’s a second honeymoon, a chance to learn how war has changed them and to re-establish their loving marriage.
But one afternoon, Claire walks through a circle of standing stones and vanishes into 1743, where the first person she meets is a British army officer - her husband’s six-times great-grandfather.

Unfortunately, Black Jack Randall is not the man his descendant is, and while trying to escape him, Claire falls into the hands of a gang of Scottish outlaws, and finds herself a Sassenach - an outlander - in danger from both Jacobites and Redcoats.

Marooned amid danger, passion and violence, her only chance of safety lies in Jamie Fraser, a gallant young Scots warrior. What begins in compulsion becomes urgent need, and Claire finds herself torn between two very different men, in two irreconcilable lives.

═════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════

2nd time reading this book & I enjoyed it just as much if not more than I did the first!

I don't normally go for romance but upon watching the TV series I had to pick up the book. I love all the characters & their nuances. I even love Claire after finding her annoying as hell in the TV shows. & as far as a Mr Jamie Fraser goes what is there not to love, he even reminds me of my husband with some of the daft stuff he comes out with at the most inopportune times.


Being a Scot myself I found the mixture of English & Scots easy to follow & loved the fact that I stay only a matter of miles away from some of the places mentioned in the book.


The writing style is easy to get used to & not overbearing like some historical fictions can. It has a very good pace & all the scenarios are played out to their full potential, not drawn out but not to short.


Overall if your looking to break into historical fiction or romance then I would recommend this one straight away. Don't be put off by the length as the story captures you from the offset.


Star Rating - ✪✪✪✪✩

No comments:

Post a Comment