Thursday 20 February 2020

#BookReview - Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

Series - Outlander #2
Number of pages - 976
Format - Paperback
Rating - ✪✪✪✪


For twenty years Claire Randall has kept her secrets. But now she is returning with her grown daughter to the majesty of Scotland's mist-shrouded hills. Here Claire plans to reveal a truth as stunning as the events that gave it birth: about the mystery of an ancient circle of standing stones, about a love that transcends the boundaries of time, and about James Fraser, a warrior whose gallantry once drew the young Claire from the security of her century to the dangers of his.Now a legacy of blood and desire will test her beautiful daughter as Claire's spellbinding journey continues in the intrigue-ridden court of Charles Edward Stuart, in a race to thwart a doomed uprising, and in a desperate fight to save both the child and the man she loves. 

═════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════

Why have I not read this book before? I mean I read Outlander last year but why did I stop there because the action certainly carries on from the first book into the second!

This book in the series follows Claire once she's travelled back to her 'own time' & her search to find out what happened to her Jamie at the battle of Culloden with a few diversions along the way.

The pacing of this book is perfect, along with the descriptions & battle accounts. The first couple of chapters threw me off a bit as it jumps a few years into the future but once I got my head round it I found no other problems following the timeline.

I love all the characters (even the bad guys)! I also really enjoyed all the battle scenes which I don't usually look for in a book but find that it's not too overpowering & doesn't go on for an age in this tome. I also loved that Callander House which is situated a couple of miles from my house also features.

The only fault I would say is that it had to end... though I have the next in the series so it's all good!

If you like reading romance... this book/series is for you.
If you like reading historical fiction... this book/series is for you.
If your just looking for a really good book/series to read... this one is for you.





No comments:

Post a Comment