Thursday 5 March 2020

#BookReview - Turtles All the Way Down by John Green


Pages - 292
Format - Kindle
Rating - ✪✪✪✪

It all begins with a fugitive billionaire and the promise of a cash reward. Turtles All the Way Down is about lifelong friendship, the intimacy of an unexpected reunion, Star Wars fan fiction, and tuatara. But at its heart is Aza Holmes, a young woman navigating daily existence within the ever-tightening spiral of her own thoughts.

In his long-awaited return, John Green shares Aza's story with shattering, unflinching clarity.

═════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════




This was my 2nd time reading this book after DNFing the 1st, though this was nothing to do with the book I just didn't click with it at the time.

I really enjoyed this book once the story got going & loved the character development & interactions. Could see this being turned into a movie.

I also found Turtles to be a very good representation of anxiety. I was kind of worried it could trigger my own anxiety but actually found it quite comforting for some strange reason that I can't explain. However it was a very good representation as the whole anxiety episodes took up I'd say half the story yet wasn't too overbearing, yet it shows in that way that anxiety can take over your life if you let it the way it tried to take over the book as it were. Maybe I'm just reading too much into it?

Now even though as already stated a lot of the book is about Aza's anxiety there is still plenty of character development & plot. I loved the way that we got to see kind of from both sides of Aza's friends & family looking in from the outside & how Aza saw something completely different.

Overall I may re-read this book in future but I will be sure to try out some more of John Greens books. As before I did kind of feel that the books were overhyped as bad as that sounds but after reading this example of his work he definitely lives up to the hype!

No comments:

Post a Comment